A six-point car examine is a gift that may keep on giving, each in better car performance and fewer sudden repairs this winter, says the Automotive Care Council.
“Why not wrap up the holiday season with a gift for you and your automotive? Inspecting six key methods forward of time can save you the headaches and price of an emergency breakdown later,” stated Wealthy White, government director, Automotive Care Council. “Common car upkeep is all the time more handy if you’re doing it on your own schedule. By taking a couple of straightforward preventive maintenance steps now, you possibly can have more confidence when driving in severe winter climate.”
The Automotive Care Council recommends a six-point car examine earlier than the New Yr arrives:
- Battery – Maintain the battery connections clean, tight and corrosion-free. Chilly weather is tough on batteries, so it’s clever to verify the battery and charging system for optimum performance. As a result of batteries don’t all the time give warning signs earlier than they fail, it is advisable to exchange batteries which might be more than three years previous.
- Antifreeze – Antifreeze (coolant) ought to be flushed and refilled no less than each two years in most automobiles. As a reminder, don’t add 100 % antifreeze as full-strength antifreeze truly has a lower freeze level than when combined with water.
- Brakes – Have the brake system checked. Brakes are important to car safety and notably essential when driving on icy or snow-covered roads.
- Tires – Verify the tire tread depth and tire strain. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, contemplate particular tires designed to grip slick roads. During winter, tire strain must be checked weekly as tires lose strain when temperatures drop.
- Oil – Be diligent about changing the oil at beneficial intervals and verify the gasoline, air and transmission filters on the similar time. Contemplate changing to low-viscosity oil in winter, as it’ll movement more easily between shifting elements when chilly. In sub-zero driving temperatures, drop oil weight from 10-W30 to 5-W30 as thickened oil can make it arduous to start out the automotive.
- Wiper Blades – Cold climate can have an effect on the life of windshield wipers, making the rubber exhausting and brittle and growing the potential for cracks. Wiper blades which might be torn, cracked or don’t correctly clean your windshield ought to be replaced. Some producers supply special winter blades that have a rubber boot overlaying the arm meeting to keep snow and ice out. When changing the blades, have the windshield wiper system nozzles cleaned and adjusted if crucial, and examine the fluid degree within the windshield washer reservoir.
In the course of the winter, the Automotive Care Council recommends retaining your car’s fuel tank a minimum of half full as that decreases the probabilities of moisture forming in the fuel strains and probably freezing. Finally, for those who’re due for a tune-up, think about having it carried out earlier than winter units in. Winter magnifies present problems akin to pings, exhausting begins, sluggish efficiency or tough idling.
The Automotive Care Council is the source of data for the “Be Automotive Care Aware” shopper schooling marketing campaign selling the benefits of normal car care, upkeep and repair to shoppers. For more info or to obtain a replica of the council’s Automotive Care Information, visit www.carcare.org
The publish Six-Point Vehicle Check: A Gift that Keeps on Giving appeared first on Be Car Care Aware.